I always pop a little cinnamon and ginger in my banana bread – so I thought I’d take it a step further and introduce cardamom and nutmeg to the mix for a true chai flavour 💕 When I put chai banana bread up for a vote against chai-chocolate doughnuts you guys voted this the hands-down winner on Instagram! So here it is – gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free of course…
Chai Banana Bread
1 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup almond flour
1-2 tsp ground cardamom (depending on how much you like it!)
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 heaped tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
1/3 cup oil (coconut, hazelnut, rapeseed work well)
5 large ripe or over-ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees (160 fan assisted). Combine the dry ingredients (flours, spices, coconut sugar, baking powder) in a bowl until well mixed.
- Add the oil, vanilla extract and mashed bananas and mix until you have a sticky dough.
- Add the dough to a loaf tin lined with parchment paper or greased with oil. Pop in the oven.
- Wait 50 minutes (I know, right?!) or until the bread is golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the chai banana bread to cool slightly before tucking in (if you can wait that long!)
Serve with a cup of freshly brewed chai latte or coffee. Aura Chai banana bread works beautifully with nut butters and chia jam – I like it as a tasty afternoon snack or as a breakfast treat!
Did you love our chai banana bread? Try our hand blended, artisan masala chai latte – find it in our online shop now.